Thursday, June 3, 2010

Our Incredibly Lousy Front Yard

This is our front door. We have taken our house off of the market but our real estate agent can't get the lock box off. The codes she put in didn't work. I do believe that I am going to have to take the handle off to get the thing off. It is a constant reminder that no one wanted to buy our house.
I did bring a little piece of Texas with us. I bought two of these cute pots at HEB (if you live in San Antonio it is about the only grocery store around). Right now they are the best part of our front yard.
Maybe no one would buy our house because of the front yard?

When we moved into our home, the front and back yards were in terrible shape. In the front yard we spent lots of money having the yard professionally sodded and the irrigation system worked on. Well, the sod died. So we sodded it again.....and it died. Then we added a huge island along the sidewalk where the worse of the die off occurred. The plantings grew very well.
There are other areas where the grass just won't grow so we are increasing the sizes of our islands. I am at the point where I don't care to sod again. Today we went to our local nursery and he was having a tree sale, buy one and get one free. So we purchased 4 cherry trees for $110. Seemed like a good price.
We got the trees in the ground today and will work on the island over time. When the temperatures hit 90 pulling up weeks and highway grass just isn't my kind of fun.

See, that big dead spot now has a tree in the middle of it.

Tomorrow we will receive the rest of our household goods which include my chop saw and table saw so I am not sure how much work I will finish in the front yard. I need to start on the playhouse.

In other news, I received an email from USC (University of South Carolina) today. I have an interview for their master in special education program on July 6th. I also will need to do a writing sample while I am there. I would really like to work in the field of special education but wonder if I could get a job with all the cut backs in teachers. If I get accepted I will really have to determine real quick how I am going to pay for it! Yea, I just applied and figured I'd worry about the money later.

Tomorrow will be busy, we will get the rest of our household goods and go shopping for John's apartment odds and ends. Sunday he will leave for work and won't be home until Friday night. You do what you have to do in this economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment