Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Love My Husband

I love my husband, he puts up with me. He encourages me when I have crazy ideas....like going back to school. He didn't faint today when I said I wanted to do another adoption. Of course, he was half asleep when I said that which might account for his sedate reaction.
.
I am not an eloquent writer where I can write these fantastic lofty ideals of why I love children and feel a calling to adopt. I can only say that I feel very strongly about adoption.....about offering an orphan a home and family. '
.
I also know that it is not easy. I still worry about Joselin. She is doing good right now and she is in a program where she can get her high school diploma in two years. They offered her a graduation plan that wasn't offered here. She is also living out in the boonies without internet and a house phone. Without the temptations she does well, unfortunately you have to be able to make safe decisions one day. Joselin has not ever moved from her past, she never accepted that she was adopted. When we decided to adopt Joselin, we thought that she had just turned 8, she had just turned 11. Honestly, I don't think that I would have taken an 11 year old out of her culture. That is what lies do. Unfortunately it is everywhere. I pray that Joselin reaches the point of acceptance but I have come to accept that she may not. At least we are working hard to give her the tools to have a successful life. We hold out hope and her family is here if she ever wants to be a part of it.
.
When we adopted from foster care it was much simpler. We knew the kids, they had been in our home for almost three years. We felt safer going that route. At least they couldn't tell us any lies, we knew what we were taking on.
.
After the lies of our Guatemalan adoption I said that I would not adopt internationally again. So why am I looking outward again? There is this little girl on Reese's Rainbow who I want to go and bring home. Reece's Rainbow was created to help find homes for children with Down's Syndrome. I love Leesia in Orphanage 5. I don't know why I feel such feelings for her. I hope that she finds a home soon.
.
I find it amazing that in some countries children with any type of disability are rejected. They are sent to mental institutions when they are 5 years old. They are discarded as though they have no worth. It is terrible.
.
I wonder how a country can treat their children that way. However it wasn't that long ago that the United States was doing the same thing. I have actually been paying attention in school. I didn't realize that before the 70's kids with intellectual disabilities were not allowed to go to school. A lot of them were put into institutions.
.
In 1972 Geraldo did an expose on the Willowbrook State School. The conditions were terrible. Actually they look a lot like the conditions you see in some of the Eastern European countries today. The 70's weren't that long ago. We have come a long way in how we treat our citizens with disabilities. Hopefully one day other countries will follow suit.
.
In the mean time, Leesia sits there pulling at my heart.
.
I really do love my husband, he puts up with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment