Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Little Foster Care Terminology

It has been pointed out to me that sometimes I use terminology that is exclusive to foster care or adoptions. Here are a few that I can think of at this time.

AW - Adoption Worker
LW - Licensing Worker
SW - Social Worker
CW - case worker, I mostly call my case workers SW
GAL - Guardian Ad Litem, they represent the child in the case.
CASA - some states use a Court Appointed Special Advocate instead of a GAL.
TPR - termination of parental rights

In SC when children come into care DSS must go to court within 72 to determine if there is just cause to keep the children in care. So when we receive foster children we have no clue how long we will have them for. It could be just a day if a family member comes forward, three days if they determine there wasn't just cause, months as the parents work their case plan, years until TPR or never if you chose to adopt them after TPR.

I will add to the list as I hit upon them.

Anyone else out there care to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment