Thursday, October 14, 2010

Challenges

Yesterday I participated in an assessment at a developmental clinic. I was concerned before going there that I wouldn't have anything to contribute. I was surprised at how much I did know. How much experience I have gained by being a foster parent/adoptive parent/parent period.
.
The hardest part is realizing that a child does have autism. When you watch a parent try and explain everything away it is really hard. I understand the need to know but also the dread to know.
.
I have struggled with finding answers for my own children. With the initial feelings of loss. Loss of what you wanted your child to experience in life. Pain when you realize that life will be hard for your child. That they will face challenges that you wish with every fiber of your being that you could take away.
.
There is a grieving process when you realize that your child will face lifelong challenges. The grief doesn't last forever. However, I still get twinges of it when I see one of my children struggling.
.
But you know, I am blessed to be mom to all of my children. They have all brought me grief and joy. Life if full, full of choices. We can't let the grief drag us and our children down. We need to show our children that life is beautiful, no matter what is thrown our way. That everyone has challenges and those challenges make you stronger and help you to grow. The old cliche is true, life is what you make it.

2 comments:

  1. I suspected my son was asperger's from about age 4 adn on. Getting someone to listen took until he was 15!!!! By then it was too late for all the early intervention/socialization that could have been done. He was just used to not fitting in and being the target. Arggggggggggggg

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so frustrating when you as a parent know that there is something wrong and the doctors disregard you. It took me 5 years to get Sarah diagnosed with neurofibromatosis. The doctors all thought I was wrong when I said that there was a problem. To miss all those years of early interventions is terrible.

    ReplyDelete