Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Conflicts

I knew that it was going to happen....conflicts.
.
My school academic advisor wants me to take a class next semester that involves 5 hours a week in a classroom. I know it doesn't sound like much but.......uh, little ones can't go with me.
.
When we fostered before we were able to get ABC vouchers to pay for part of the day care for our foster children if either you both worked full time or went to school full time. Well, due to the dreaded budget cuts they say that they are not providing ABC vouchers for full time students anymore.
.
Nice....not
.
Our foster children have court at the end of the month and it is possible that they may go home....of course, they may not too. This is a different case. If they don't go home then it is quite possible that they will be here into the new year. Which means I will need to pay for daycare for two little ones if I want to meet my school obligations. We do not do foster care to make money, actually we lose money. However, to take on the cost of two little ones day care would be crazy.
.
In spite of that fact I would not have these children moved. I feel that moves are detrimental. The impact would be on what other children I do accept after these have gone home.
.
It would be easy enough to say that I shouldn't take this class this coming semester. The problem with that is that every class is not offered every semester. Sometimes they don't know when a class will be offered again. I have 15 classes I have to take and then a semester of student teaching. If I am lacking one class I can not student teach until it has become available and is completed. I have decided that listening to my academic advisor is a smart thing to do.
.
My hope is to finish classes in two years and then do my semester of student teacher....making it 2 1/2 years to complete a 2 year program. I know my limits, three classes is the maximum I can take and it is considered full time. I had considered just taking two classes next semester and taking three years to finish but have decided to continue as a full time student. Crazy me.
.
Budget cuts.....nasty things.

No comments:

Post a Comment