Thursday, October 7, 2010

School (mine)

I have finished my presentation. Who knew that a presentation about family effects on children with intellectual disabilities could end in a talk about foster care. I am glad that is over with. Now I just need to write the paper, which doesn't have any specific turn in date. I got a 96 on the midterm test in that class and am happy with that. Now I just have a quiz for Monday, another midterm, two projects....uh, make that 4.
.
Sometimes I think that I am crazy for pursuing this degree. Am I too old? Do I have too much on my plate? Sometimes I think I do. Sometimes I think that I don't. Sometimes I think that I just need some good meds.
.
I am enjoying my classes and getting out among adults (even if some of them are the age of my older kids). To have the opportunity to learn something new that doesn't have to do with any of my kids diagnosis' is great.
.
This is something that I am doing for me, something that I haven't done in a long time.
.
Next Wednesday I am spending the day at a facility that does assessments for determining if a child may have autism. I am going to be part of the assessment team. I was originally supposed to just observe, but I have been asked to assess as well. I am taking classes for special education as well as getting all of the requirements for a certification in behavior analysis. I am kind of drawn to the assessment area since I know how important it is for the families. At some point I am going to have to decide which way I want to go.
.
I am looking at my classes for next semester already. I think that I will be taking three classes again. One class that my academic advisor wants me to take requires 5 hours a week in a public school. That is going to take some coordination but can be done.
.
If all goes well, two years from now I will be doing student teaching this semester. It should be very interesting to be on the other side after being the parent for so long.
.
Well, no studying tonight, I am going to go and watch Designer's Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment