Thursday, January 27, 2011

Almost

Today we almost quit foster care. We are worn down. All because I am concerned about how lethargic my baby is.
.
This morning the baby's SW and bios took her for a follow up appointment with her doctor. The one who sent her to the hospital and never visited her. He said that the reason she is anemic is because we are watering down bottles! Wow, it is a good thing I wasn't there. It is also a good thing that the SW and the bios both said that they did not believe that we are watering down bottles.
.
Having the bios stand up for us is a big thing. It could have very easily gone a different way. They could have gotten mad and requested that their baby be moved. They could have accused us of not taking proper care of their baby. But, they chose not to. They actually stood up for us based on what they have seen of their kids during visitation. We have only met them once, at the hospital.
.
So, after such a strong defense of us the doctor determined that the baby has a virus. He didn't even look at her. He didn't even feel that she needed any iron supplements.

So, what do I do if she doesn't improve? Yes, I went and bought some iron supplements today. It is not a prescription so I can do this. I hope that it helps her to become more active but I worry about what is causing the anemia. I know it is not because of her diet and this concerns me.

Can she get proper medical care as a foster child?

4 comments:

  1. Dear God... that makes me angry just reading it. wow! so I wonder what is really worng with the baby???? incredible. that is good that the bios stood up for you. I am still praying for that precious little baby. Is she doing any better???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for all that has happened related to this for you, and of course, for the child who seems to be missing the boat on getting a good dr. to look at her. Do you not get a choice in what dr. to see?? I don't know how the health care system covers a foster child since we haven't done this yet, but it seems there are several tests that should be run on an anemic child who is progressed to showing signs of lethargy. Sadly, I have had to fight SO many battles to get proper health care for my children...I used to trust the dr's; now I don't and research everything myself to ensure I know what's going on. And we have the kind of insurance provided by an employer and can pick our doctors to an extent :(

    Prayers that the iron supplements help very soon...and saying a prayer of thanks for the bios who did the right thing and stood up for you. God bless, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are using the family doctor that the kids had before they came into care. However, I do believe that the parents will be willing to change if I feel that she isn't improving this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no intention of ever going back to Palmetto Children's Hospital. I after the hassle I received from the physicians, the SW can take the next baby.

    ReplyDelete