Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Weekend

It was a long weekend, it was a cold weekend. It would be nice if they would give me some cold weather gear before they ask me to go out and do a PMCS on a vehicle. My face is pink, chapped from the cold and wind.
.
My unit has decided that instead of me getting a new MOS that I should get into an unit with an opening with one of my MOS's, I have 4. So, they are looking and I have a feeling that it won't be close to home.
.
Either way I will be nagging my unit for some cold weather gear because my next drill will be weapons qualification. I normally do well with that but if I am shivering hard I may have a hard time hitting the targets. If I remember well that last time I qualified on the M16 it was raining and cold.
.
My first class is tomorrow. I am waiting to see if I will actually have class. We are expecting snow and if that happens then just about everything will close down. Our state isn't prepared to deal with snow or ice. If it does snow then it will be the first time since we moved here that it actually snowed more then once in the winter. Is colder then normal weather a sign of global warming? I only ask because this has been the coldest winter here in a long time.
.
Since getting back home I have been catching up on reading my favorite blogs (I have many). One blog lead me to this from Reeces Rainbow.

http://reecesrainbow.blogspot.com/2010/09/while-we-wait.html

Makes me think. When we adopted the first time we adopted internationally because we thought that the needs of the kids were higher. In some countries getting adopted might just mean the difference between life and death.
.
After doing an international adoption we decided to do something more locally and so we chose to foster. We didn't foster to specifically adopt. We always felt that if the right kids came into our home who came up for adoption then we would adopt. That was how we adopted Anthony and Larissa, they had been our foster kids for almost 3 years before they got TPR.
.
Now we have put in our paperwork to adopt again and I will admit that there is a small part of me that would like to add to our family internationally again. Perhaps Ethiopia or that region. There is such a need but we can only do so much.
.
Sometimes I do wonder why I feel such a strong calling to adopt. I know that my poor husband would like for that call to go away. However, he has accepted my calling and has provided well for all of our children. During this time of economic upheaval we are doing well. Could that be because we are answering the call? Sometimes I do wonder.
.
Do you ever feel called to do something? How do you tell the difference between what is His will and what is your own? (Seriously I would like to know!)
.
Well, time to go do laundry and catch up on Cityville. I hope that everyone has a great evening.

3 comments:

  1. good grief - I don't know what any of those letters mean but I do understand "cold" "shivering" chapped" and so on!
    I knew since forever that I wanted to adopt. I can't explain it. It just was/is and a big enough deal that husband & I discussed it pre engagement because it was a deal breaker for me-
    And I've been interested in foster care for a few years with that growing stronger - but I don't see my husband going for it. I think he feels he's done his time "in the trenches" and wants to move on to big kid stuff and "his nice life"
    which is fair enough- but still...
    I read storied like the ones about your recent little fosters and my heart just calls out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! I didn't know what Reese's Rainbow was so I clicked on your click! Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick is like your husband but when I saw a boy from China that might be our son, he was game. It just didn't feel right though. He'd been in foster home with one other child all his life. I didn't want to be the one to take him from the only home and sibling he's ever known. (And dump him into our coo coo house where he'd have to compete for attention).

    ReplyDelete