Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 5

Today I am thankful .....ummmm, I am trying hard here. I actually had a rough day today. I went to Joselin's IEP meeting. She had told me that it was rescheduled for next week so I was surprised last night when her teacher called me to confirm that I was going to come to it today. I made it to the IEP meeting but Joselin didn't, she wasn't at school in spite of the fact that I had dropped her off there just 3 hours earlier.
.
She is failing most of her classes. Apparently she sleeps a lot in history. I told them that she is on her school laptop all night long so it doesn't surprise me. They decided that it was time to take up her laptop. Bottom line is she will not be graduating any time soon. She only has one English and one math credit. Basically she should be classified as a sophomore.
.
After a long conversation it was decided that they would start concentrating on functional skills. Things like how to fill out job applications and such. She surely needs these skills so I was thankful that they were able to come up with a plan to help her with transitioning. Ha, there you go, my thankful thought for the day. Truly I am thankful for all the school personnel who have tried so hard over the years to help Joselin to achieve all that she could. There have been some great people who have worked hard with her.
.
Joselin did come home at her regular time...by car and not by bus as she should. She left home while I was gone taking Larissa to dance. I don't even know if she will be here for Easter. Lately she has taken to leaving on non school nights.
.
What can I say? She is 17 and in our state can leave whenever she wants to. However, since she is not yet 18 I must let her back in the home she comes back. Too much power for a 17 year old who makes bad choices for herself. I don't have any answers as to how to deal with this behavior anymore. There just aren't any easy answers.

3 comments:

  1. There needs to be a law that protects the parents. This law sets it up for the child to have the power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The State may allow her to leave but the State doesn't say she has to have a car, computer, cell phone, allowance, etc. Hope she can start dealing with some consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and you could ask the school to add a program to the computer that blocks use at certain hours. Worked for our stepson even when he was at his Mom's. Heehee!

    ReplyDelete