Monday, September 24, 2012

What is the Delay?

I have been wondering why we have not been able to sign the adoption agreement for our teen.  It is well past the 30 day waiting period.  Well, I got an answer today...........

The order was clocked and filed on the Sept. 13th, the Judge signed it on the 9th, and the order was sent to birth father certified. A child is legally free 30 days after the parent has been served with the order. So, the 30 days will not start until we receive the green card back to show that he has been served. If he does not pick it up, I’m told that it will still be sent back and the 30 days will start then because of the attempt. If he happens to sign for it, the 30 days will start the date that he signed. So, we are looking at the end of October or November. Our paralegal said that the green cards are usually sent back within two weeks. I’ll keep you posted as I learn of any new information.

Hmmmmm.....clear?

1 comment: