Monday, December 17, 2012

Thoughts

I wasn't going to write anything about Friday's tragedy.  As I watched the incident unfold I was shocked and deeply saddened that someone would attack babies.  I pray for all those families in CT.

I think that everyone out there has already said many things about it and I don't have anything profound to add.  I will however say that everyone is quick to jump on gun laws.  I think that the problem is deeper.  The problem is that there are people out there who are willing to kill babies.

I don't know yet what the situation was in this case but I would have to suspect mental illness.  I know what the struggles are for parents to get good mental health care.  It is tough.  It is isolating for the parents.  For the children there is bullying and rejection from peers and society in general.  There are a lot of families out there struggling with mental illness with nowhere to turn. 

If our society continues to ignore this problem then it will not simply go away.  I imagine that there is someone out there thinking that they will top that shooting.  These are scary times.

As I spent time with my 6, 7 and 7 year old children over the weekend I knew that this incident could have happened in my community as well.  As a country I would hope that we could unite and realize that we need to get to the root of the problem.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I'm so sick of the gun control debate ... this issue runs so much deeper than that. Let's fix the problem and not the symptom.

    ReplyDelete