Friday, January 11, 2013

Long Term Community Health Care

Many months ago I applied for help with my mom.  We were put on a waiting list.  In the mean time I hired someone to come on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to give me a break. 

A short time ago my mom started to decline.  She could no longer stand and rotate so I got physical therapy to come in and work with her.  They worked with her and when she did not make any improvement then they had to sign off.  Their parting words were to put her in a nursing home. 

Just when I was thinking that I needed to put her in a nursing home Long Term Community Health Care called and said that we had come up on the list for services.  They will be provide diapers, pads, wipes and someone to come into the home Monday through Friday for a few hours.  They will start on the 15th.  I start student teaching on the 15th.  Kind of funny how that worked out!

Although things are covered for now I realize that it is time to find a home for my mom.  She is getting to hard to transfer.  The other day I was transferring her and she picked up her legs!  She was about 170 lbs of dead weight.  I am afraid that one day I will drop her.  At this time I am the only one in the house who can transfer her safely.

So, I am starting to look for a place.  I am not sure when I will move her but I am pretty sure it is within the next few months.  Hard decision to make but I think that it is the right one at this time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure this is a very hard decision but maybe safest for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a nurse/nor a pt, but I do work in a nursing home. (in the administration end not clinical) Do you transfer her with a gait belt? In the nursing home we use those for everyone. (The idea being that if you go to drop her you can guide her gently to the floor instead of dropping her...however, I have no idea I've never transferred anyone in my life)

    ReplyDelete