Monday, October 21, 2013

Weary

 
 
I have been struggling to keep up lately.  Don't get me wrong, my house is always a mess and the laundry is never done.  But lately I have been just so weary, not keeping up at all.  The kids have been winning the battle....you might know of it, the lets destroy the house battle.

Then last week my neck started hurting.  Not a sore throat type of pain but a lower neck, in the front type of pain.  Then it dawned on me, that is where my thyroid is located.  18 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  This means that my thyroid is not working as it should and it affects my metabolism.  For the first 10 years I was on a very low dose of medication.  However, the last 8 years I have had several times when my thyroid was "out of whack" (doctor description).

Lately I have been gaining weight and have been overly tired.  Once the throat pain started I was reminded of my thyroid.  I have never had thyroid pain before so that is new to me.  Wednesday I go in for blood work to check my thyroid function and then next week I talk to the doctor.  Hopefully the neck pain will go away by then.  Is it bad to hope that my numbers are off and my medication needs to be increased? That would be an easy fix. 

Anyone with hypothyroidism or neck pain?  I am really curious if anyone else with hypothyroidism has had neck pain as well.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you get some answers quickly. I know how frustrating it is to be tired all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't dealt with that. I think my tiredness comes from only 5 hours of sleep each night. I can't settle in earlier than 11:00, or close to midnight. Just doesn't happen. I flop around and make it worse than just staying up. Yet the alarm goes off at 5:07 no matter.

    You are still `dealing with so much with the kids it has to wear you down emotionally. Try to take time out when you can for yourself. Hard to do with homeschooling, but maybe you both need a rest time after lunch. She watches a movie while you sleep on the couch near her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hypothyroid for many years, but in the last 8, it has been difficult to control. I'm familiar with the throat pain, for me, it's as if something is lodged deep at the base of my throat. My voice becomes gravelly. My symptoms worsened and eventually lead to adrenal fatigue and auto-immune disease. It has been a long road back, I am on a very high dose of synthroid, and take several supplements. I've recently started following gluten free/paleo diet which helps significantly; although this is difficult to do w/ 2 girls that love their pasta!
    I hope you are feeling better soon, Felicia. I've read your blog for a long time ~ you pour all of your energy in to your family (which is beautiful) but I do hope that you will take some time for you.

    ReplyDelete