Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Calls Begin

The calls from school begin.  I have a feeling that it is going to be a very long year. 


Anyone have suggestions for a kid who does not want to do their homework? 


Anthony has a terrible aversion to the stuff.  I can understand when he finds it challenging, I really can.  However, it isn't challenging yet.  Last week he had one sheet where he just wrote anything hoping that I wouldn't notice.  He was in the pool when I had to get him out to really do his homework.  It took him about 10 minutes to do it properly but he lost the pool for the rest of the day.


Yesterday I got a call from his teacher.  There was one math sheet he was supposed to do.  Did I receive the paper I was supposed to sign?  No  I didn't.  She said it was in his folder today and she went to check on it.  In his folder he found another child's paper with all the correct answers.  He was so intent on not doing this one page that he was willing to lie, deceive and cheat.  I thought it must be a hard page of math but when he sat at home to do it he spent maybe 5 minutes on it and when I checked it they were all correct.


If he is doing this when the work is not too difficult for him, how is it going to be when it is hard?  I can't seem to find the right motivation for him.  This was a big problem last year however I thought that it was because the work was too hard.  So far the homework is review and it hasn't taken him too long to do.  I would rather have a good motivation in place instead of having to discipline for noncompliance. 


Yesterday I told him my expectations about homework.  I also made him very aware that his teacher and I communicate often.  We are only on week two of school, I think that it is going to be a very long year for Anthony.  He has a lot of growing to do.  Next year he goes to the middle school where more will be expected of him.


I have also come to the conclusion that he needs to see a therapist for his anger.  His medication does take the edge off of it but it boils under the surface.  His biofather had the same issue and it didn't work out too well for him.  I want to prevent it from becoming a bigger problem for Anthony as he ages.  I have reached out to my local parents for therapist suggestions with no success. I have emailed the play therapist that the girls saw to see if she has any suggestions.  As far as talking therapists, I have just not had much luck in this area.  I hear rumors of great therapists in other areas and am jealous.  Hopefully this time around I can find someone who Anthony can connect with.

1 comment:

  1. I never had much luck finding someone who could really deal with the issues our adopted children faced.

    ReplyDelete