Monday, May 18, 2015

It's a Small, Small World

I was sitting in church this morning when a family sat in front of us.  As the children sat down I thought that I recognized the children.  Suddenly it dawned on me that I was looking at the half siblings of Little Man.  Their mom is Little Man's mom.  She has had her parental rights terminated and they live with their father.

I have talked with their grandmother.  Actually she has been to our house.  She had contemplated trying to get Little Man at one point so that the siblings could have contact.  I had told Little Man's aunt (who visits with him at our house) that we didn't have a problem with the children having contact.  It is because of this grandmother that I know that Little Man's mom did drugs and drank the entire time she was pregnant.  Explained why my little man had such a hard time sleeping and was so fussy when he came home.  I suspected, it was confirmed, he was a drug baby.

I digress, the children know that Little Man exists but their dad wasn't ready to meet.  I knew he was sitting right in front of me but he had no clue who we were.

So what do you do in that situation?


4 comments:

  1. Take baby and walk out. Let husband ask him if he wants the kids to meet the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's a tough one. What did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably nothing unless they made eye contact and recognized me. Then I'd offer a smile and friendly wave. Then, if they approached me...I'd let them take the lead. :) Mostly likely, if we're meant to cross paths... it will happen ... no matter the size...churches are small places :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops... I'd read the passage again, so he doesn't know who you are... I'd still say nothing... when he is ready or it's meant to be...you'll cross paths. But either way, a friendly smile and wave creates an impression your a warm friendly person. So when it (if) it happens that he figures out who you are...it'll be easier for him to digest :)

    ReplyDelete